permaculture - Re: [permaculture] agroforestry discussion list

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] agroforestry discussion list
  • Date: Sat, 01 Apr 2006 00:42:15 -0500

Marimike6@cs.com wrote:

Unfortunately, sorghum has an incomplete suite of amino acids, and is not that great from a nutritive standpoint. Certain heretics have discussed the

That may be so but who knows what other nutritional benefits are to be
derived from millet.
You often hear that <fill in the blank> has been show to be an exceptional
source of
vit. e, for example or is a great antioxidant or lowers blood pressure or
purges plaque from arteries, etc.
Mixed with any of the following:

millet
barley
sorghum
spelt
kenaf
oats
corn (esp. high lycene)
flax seeds
rice
what about milo? (probably not human food)

A little applied research in appropriate technology might produce innovative
mills or grinders
used to produce grits for porridge or coarse meal for hoecakes or flour for
bread or stew thickeners.
I can see great bean/grain dishes on the horizon. Good protein here. There
are homebrew extractors
used to press oil from soy, corn, peanut, olive, canola, sunflower,
safflower. Recycle the cake as animal food;
get eggs and milk in return. Grow acres of mustard/turnip/rape to feed thesame livestock (I feed my 2 goats and 75 chickens fifty plus pounds of greens daily and get exceptional eggs for the table.

Anyone know of a source for an oil press? In season, with ne of these, you
could glean 20-30 gallons of good oil
to store in a root cellar or spring house for the winter.

Back to sea buckthorn, would it be possible to import seed of the better
varieties from somewhere like Belarus?

LL