permaculture - Re: [permaculture] pellet stoves

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: neshura <neshura@gmail.com>
  • To: john@eco-living.net, permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] pellet stoves
  • Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2006 18:13:05 -0500

Besides the expensive pellets and the complicated machinery, the
blower is loud enough to make conversation difficult at best. Pellet
stoves work best when relegated to a back room; for simple heating,
they are fine, but if you want to heat your home and have a hearth, a
warm place where friends and family gather to stamp off the chill and
exchange stories and maybe sit and watch a movie together, avoid
stoves with blowers.

I believe Real Goods and other similar stores sell a little
thermoelectric fan that sits directly on the stove and circulates air
through the room, but I don't know what the decibel level would be, or
I'd be tempted to get one (it's clever but costly, about $100).