permaculture - Re: [permaculture] permaculture Digest, Vol 37, Issue 15: wood burning stoves

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Clint Popetz <clint@cpopetz.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] permaculture Digest, Vol 37, Issue 15: wood burning stoves
  • Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2006 13:23:06 -0600

On Thu, Feb 09, 2006 at 09:17:49PM +0200, mitshell wrote:
> Is anybody aware of wood burning stoves/heaters that can be loaded
> with wood once every 24 hours or something there about as opposed to
> the regular fireplaces that need to have wood added every few hours
> ?

24 hours is a bit out of reach, I think. If you know what you are
doing (and I won't claim to, having heated my house with wood for only
two years) you can go to bed and not have to get up in the middle of
the night to feed the beast.

I feed mine about three times a day in the coldest (-10 F) weather.
You have to get used to sleeping/waking chilly, which I now really
enjoy.

It's not so much the type of stove I think, but how dry your wood is,
how good the species is, how thick it is, and how much thermal mass an
insulation you have in your house.

-Clint