permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Soil & CO2

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Claude William Genest <genest@pivot.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Soil & CO2
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 10:25:56 -0500

Thanks Will,

Here's where I read it :

"Hi folks,
I came across Sally Fallon's keynote address from the 2003 NOFA conference, on an excellent web site on making local economics happen...solari.com. It is such a good piece, I thought I'd pass it along en masse to friends.
http://www.solariactionnetwork.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php? p=1769&sid=faad959059ba58d58a424f4adb006535
This leads me to write a little more, as the recipients of this letter are all friends, some of whom I have not spoken with for a while.
We are aiming to form a cow share corporation here on Cimarron Farm, so the above topic and the benefits possible are on our minds.
Here on the farm, things are progressing wonderfully.
We have just begun the sharemilking transition of the dairy from Teddy and Mary to the Collins family. We are nearing completion of the Keyline flood-irrigated landscape we have been working on for some years. Two large new ponds, complete with bobbing water birds, are new centerpieces on the farm.
Holistic Management in general and holistic management planned grazing in particular have yielded amazing fruit...or new topsoil, plentiful grass and 100% grassfed milk, as the case may be.
We want to let the world, and our friends in particular, in on a strategy for renewal that we dedicate much of our daily lives to. It is simple.

Through the practice of holistic decision making, holistic planned grazing and Keyline soil development, grass farmers can create 6" and more of new topsoil per year.
Building topsoil this quickly can halt and 'reverse' climate change before my daughter is a teenager.
Six inches of new topsoil is on the order of topsoil created under a forest or prairie in thousands of years. For example, the Natural Resource Conservation Service of the US has long held and publicized that "it takes nature a thousand years to build an inch of topsoil."
Growing new topsoil can also be described as the transformation of carbon dioxide from the atmosphere into humus, or stable organic matter, in the soil.
The agents of this alchemy, in the context of humans growing and eating food, are a grand opera starring microbes and the teeming world of soil dwellers, pasture plants and animals, livestock, grassfarmers and their eating, paying customers. Gaia, the living earth, is both the setting and the mother of us all.
Topsoil, the living, placenta-like nourisher of all life, is the stage for and the basic substance of the actors involved in its regeneration. Can you imagine soil rising into the patterns of people, microbes, animals and plants, turning further into atmosphere, or falling back into itself, only to rise again? I see this everyday on the farm and it makes me feel a part of big and beautiful universe.
Building topsoil at this unprecedented rate, if carried out by enough farmers witht the support of conscious eaters, could restore biodiversity and transform global ecology, almost overnight. That would be a welcome encore after the tragedies unfolding around the world with such relentless regularity these days.
Our atmosphere is comprised of the waste gases of life on earth, or life within a living earth. The atmosphere is the breath of Gaia. By increasing biodiversity and building topsoil, through eating the meat and dairy produced by holistic grassfarmers, humans can reduce atmospheric carbon dioxide levels to pre-industrial levels within a decade.
I hope that this news gives you hope."

Best Regards,

Claude William Genest

- Founder Green Mountain Permaculture Institute of Vermont
Solutions, Sustenance, Sustainability
www.greenmountainpermaculture.com

- Creator "Regeneration - The Art of Sustainable Living"
From "Something-Must-be-Done" to Something we can do !
www.regenerationshow.com

- Ecological Coordinator
Club St.Paul Ecological Golf Course

- Vice-President Green Party of Quebec "pour nous et nos enfants"
www.pvq.qc.ca

- National Spokesperson Green Party of Canada
"The Future is Now ! "
www.greenparty.ca