permaculture - [permaculture] Pc and culture links

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Toby Hemenway <toby@patternliteracy.com>
  • To: permaculture list <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Pc and culture links
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 22:44:47 -0800

I was directed by a friend to a couple of blogs that were discussing an
article I'd written on urban and rural sustainability, and the conversation
there has gone way beyond that topic and has ranged into some interesting
discussion of where permaculture fits onto society, of whether it is
sustainable, its relation to earlier cultures, and even whether it can be
co-opted as just one more way for elites to control people. The people
writing seem remarkably intelligent and well-read (myself excepted, of
course!), with no flaming. If this interests you, you should check out

http://anthropik.com/2006/01/urbs-versus-ruralis/
http://ranprieur.com/index.html
http://villageblog.blogspirit.com/
http://villageblog.blogspirit.com/archive/2006/01/24/attack-is-the-best-form
-of-defense.html#comments

And also links from those sites. I also recommend
http://anthropik.com/2005/10/thesis-8-human-societies-are-defined-by-their-f
ood/
as it makes it clear why gardening is such a central element of permaculture

Toby
Learn permaculture in at a tropical food forest in Belize this February.
Details at www.patternliteracy.com