permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Future of Food

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Will Carey <cure@rtinet.com>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Future of Food
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2006 18:32:41 -0800

Maureen.

It's a trend that's decades old. This whole food policy issue is
documented in books I recommend:

--> Hard Tomatoes, Hard Times by Jim Hightower, 1973
Documents the takeover of the Land Grant Colleges by the Agri-Industrial
Complex. Must reading for anyone concerned with this.
--> The Unsettling of American, Wendell Berry, 1975?
A cultural history of the abandonment of American agricultural landscape.
-->Beyond the Green Revolution, Kenneth Dahlberg, 1979
Especially Chapter 3: "The New Seeds and Their Growth"
-->The Fatal Harvest Reader, Andrew Kimbrell, Ed., 2002
The best contemporary critique of the Agri-Industrial Complex.

There are lots of other sources, but these are the best to begin with....

Will

on 1/14/06 16:21, permaculture-request@lists.ibiblio.org at
permaculture-request@lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

> Have you all seen The Future of Food movie? I'm horrified. Why is there
> not more media attention to these issues?? I'm new to the permaculture
> scene and am way behind the movement, no doubt. But most people I know know
> NOTHING about these things.
> How about our land-grant colleges? How about our Ag Extension offices? Why
> are they not screaming about the demise of the small farmer and about our
> dangerous and endangered food supplies? (I don't mean to offend; I know
> THIS list is full of folks doing excellent things, and I'm very fortunate to
> have access to it.)
>

> - Maureen D Sutton

  • Re: [permaculture] Future of Food, Will Carey, 01/14/2006