permaculture - Re: [permaculture] What does it take to set up an Urban PC group?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Martin Naylor <martinwnaylor@yahoo.com.au>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] What does it take to set up an Urban PC group?
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2006 16:53:09 +1100 (EST)

YOU ARE A COMPLETE LIAR,

I LIVE IN WOLLONGONG australia AND THE COUNCIL
BLANTELY SUPPORTS ENVIROMENTAL DAMAGE AS
DO
THE FEDRALL GOV

NOTE WELL

I HAVE WRITTEN AND HAVE WRITTEN LETTERS TO SUPORT MY FACTS

NOTE WELL

I WILL TAKE THEM TO MY FEDRALLL COURT OR THE UNITED NATIONS[THEY REPORTED
BACK THAT I STILL HAVE OPTIONS, THEY ARE LIERS] TO SUPORT MY VIEW

BY MY SELF

STAND AND DELIVER

love from the
LAND DOWN UNDER

Sean Maley <semaley@yahoo.com> wrote:
Here in NYC we, Green Phoenix Permaculture, have been
draw together using online tools like yahoo groups,
meetup, and more. The parks department seems
receptive, as have community board members. NYC is
very large, so we tend to be limited trying to
coordinate everyone. We try to meet at least once per
week in as central a location as possible.

I'll let Claudia Joseph speak for her own projects, as
she has operated independently from us. Andrew Jones
and Andrew Philips have also been active, though
Claudia is the most visible. GPP has a few things
lining up and taking on their own life. Some of them
can't have any publicity yet, so I can't say much.

However, my own neighborhood is where the Lenape sold
Manhattan for bobbles and would be just for us to get
loose. We are starting at the Nature Center and have
a 200-acre forest in Manhattan that hasn't been cut
since 1776; it is the park that the parks department
lets nature do as it will, except cutting through the
occasional giant tree that falls over a path (some
have been recorded at 35' around).

The CSA concept seems to be a wonderful draw to get
others to start listening to the issues, while they
enjoy a better quality of food than the city grocers
tend to offer. We have also pushed the Ishmael book
series. The peak oil folks have adopted permaculture
as there solution, too. The intentional community and
ecovillage crowds tend to gravitate to permaculture,
as well. Finally, their are people foraging in the
parks that will become interested.

Many outsiders to NYC are misinformed about life here
when they see the city on television. It should be
noted that some parts of the city have a per capita
income well below the national average, despite being
in one of the most expensive cities in the world.
Some of us can appear to make loads of money, but this
is a myth where it takes so much money to live here,
which makes parts of the city sureal with the
magnitude between have and have not. Therefore,
economic issues dominate any large scale planning
discussions.

We have adopted the Henry George view of "Progress and
Poverty" and will seek to establish Community Land
Trusts (CLT). We will also have to establish a
network between rural communities we can establish in
the region with communities in the city. This is also
where Ishmael comes into our discussion, as we are
pushing the concept of tribalism. This is very
similar to the concepts in the final chapter of the
Permaculture Design Manual by Bill Mollison.
Permaculture is what we are attempting, but Tribalism
and the CLT are the means of getting there under these
circumstances.

-Sean.