permaculture - [permaculture] Announcement: Emergy short course in Australia

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: sholto maud <sholtom@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org, sholtom@yahoo.com
  • Subject: [permaculture] Announcement: Emergy short course in Australia
  • Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2005 03:41:44 -0800 (PST)

Dear list,

As you may know, David Holmgren was a co-originator of
Permaculture here in Australia. David has been been a
long time advocate of the emergy methodology for
modeling ecological sustainability and and its
relevance to permacultureal settlment design. The
emergy methodology was developed by systems ecologist
Howard T. Odum and David has acknowledged the
theoretical debt that permaculture owes to the work of
H.T.Odum.

In order to help increase emergy literacy in the
permaculture community I have been engaged with the
National Center for Sustainability here in Melbourne
to bring Prf. Sergio Ulgiati and Dr. M.T.Brown to
Melbourne to run a 5 and a half day international
short course in Emergy accounting and complex systems
in mid 2006. Prf. Ulgiati and Dr. Brown are second
only to Odum in emergy expertise.

Not only has the emergy methodology been advocated by
the permaculture community but also Australian
academics like Barney Foran and Ted Trainer for
addressing issues of energy resources and
environmental production, so the course might provide
a good opportunity for networking with those who are
institutional leaders in Australia. I would also like
to arrange some free seminars around the short course
to bring the emergy discourse to Australian
permacultural audiences.

I am currently assembling a database of possible
participants. If you are in the region of Australasia
and interested in participating in the course, you can
email your contact details either to me personally at
sholtomatyahoo.com, or Andrew Rickard,
ARickardatgroupwise.swin.edu.au and we'll add your
name to the database. (ofcourse replace "at" with @).

Please spread the word to those who might also be
interested.

Regards,

Sholto Maud