permaculture - Re: [permaculture] reDesign/reBuild Guild

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: John Schinnerer <john@eco-living.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] reDesign/reBuild Guild
  • Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2005 11:56:32 -1000

Aloha,

-Finding successful models from:
1. Other permie design guilds (They're out there, right?)
2. Regular landscape architecture firm structure
3. Guild-like organizations we could translate into our context
4. The long history of guilds and their structure
5. Patterns in nature!

-Forseeing any challenges and learning from other's mistakes

Google

mondragon cooperatives

for plenty links relevant to one long-established thriving cooperative example to look at.

Also look into the actual nature/history of Medieval "guilds"...you will probably find that you do *not* want to repeat what they were about!

(remember, people get weird over money)

...and, it's usually not about the money. Or the toilet paper or the toothpaste tube... :-)

And don't be surprised if apparently progressive people doing apparently progressive work and with the best of intentions to do something different get really conservative - or "weird" as you say - when it comes to creating and using a group/organization structure and process (or even part of one) that isn't already familiar to them.

cheers,
John S.

- Eco-Living -
Whole Systems Design Services