permaculture - Re: [permaculture] reDesign/reBuild Guild

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Devin <wild.is.alive@care2.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] reDesign/reBuild Guild
  • Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2005 23:59:38 +0000 (UTC)

Zack D <zack@...> writes:

> Hey-
>
> I've had an idea for turning the "guild" idea into a livelihood and conduit
> for
> change for a while. Help me out with this, if you feel so inspired.

(This is a repost because there were problems posting earlier.
Sorry if people get it twice.)

Yes! I love this idea. Interesting synchronicities happening...
I've already requested it as a discussion/think tank at the Bay
Area Permaculture Convergence in Feb. 2006.

Here are some other things I'm thinking about that would further
the project design:

-Determining exactly what we want from a worker's guild

-Finding successful models from:
1. Other permie design guilds (They're out there, right?)
2. Regular landscape architecture firm structure
3. Guild-like organizations we could translate into our context
4. The long history of guilds and their structure
5. Patterns in nature!

-Forseeing any challenges and learning from other's mistakes
(remember, people get weird over money)

-Building a HUGE list of questions to stretch our awareness on
the topic

One really important element for me would to be including
alternatives to capitalism. Whether it would be accepting trades
or local currency part of the time or something else.

Also, if it would be possible to do at the BAPC in Feb., ideally
people could really get into this ahead of time so we could go
further with it during the weekend.

There is so much potential here! The only limit is our
imagination right?

-Devin