permaculture - [permaculture] Soil Absorption/Transpiration Systems

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Laurence Gaffney" <lgaffney@bigpond.com>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Soil Absorption/Transpiration Systems
  • Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2005 08:49:49 +1100

The following Link provides specific details on some typical Soil
Absorption/Transpiration Systems from Victoria Australia' s Environment
Protection Authority. I think the "Mound System" is included here.
http://epanote2.epa.vic.gov.au/epa/septic.nsf/2830336ba1417b774a25664a002344d5/0b0df3ebb4e43e13ca256d1f0027ae59/$FILE/CA%20for%20Trenches.pdf

Their 2003 Code of Practice may also be worth a look. I believe the
Australian Codes to be a tad more progressive in this area.
eg. There is recognition and acceptance that flushing/aerobic/"wet
composting" toilets can produce a higher grade effluent than the conventional
septic tank.

http://epanote2.epa.vic.gov.au/EPA/Publications.nsf/d85500a0d7f5f07b4a2565d1002268f3/23a34c182c9de88fca256ce800068eab/$FILE/891.pdf

Laurence Gaffney

PS:-The implications for sustainability of such systems however is another
story.

  • [permaculture] Soil Absorption/Transpiration Systems, Laurence Gaffney, 12/08/2005