permaculture - [permaculture] low pressure drip irrigation

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Rain Tenaqiya <raincascadia@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] low pressure drip irrigation
  • Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2005 21:59:31 -0800 (PST)

I am also experimenting with low pressure drip irrigation and have been
surprised at how well certain emitters work, especially the non-pressure
compensating type. Dripworks, in Willits, CA has information and emitters on
this topic. I believe they have a website.

As far as water spreading goes, sprayers waste water and can create fungal
problems on tree trunks. Why not put some sort of fabric under your emitters
to help spread the water out before it soaks into the soil? In the
Designer's Manual, Mollison gives an example of using burlap to water plants
from an irrigation canal by capillary action. The same should work with
emitters. Try old cloths and underwear.

I'd love to hear more about your emitters and experience,

Rain

Yahoo! Personals