permaculture - [permaculture] Weaving with pumpkin skins

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Sharon Gordon" <gordonse@one.net>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Weaving with pumpkin skins
  • Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 08:15:03 -0500

On another list I'm on a person asked about weaving with pumpkin skins.
Anyone know about this or a list to ask on? Also would this sort of weaving
be used for mats or baskets or ??? With all the pumpkins grown this could
make good use of a part that would otherwise be composted.. Here's her
question:

"I came across the info that the North American native people dried the skin
of pumpkins and used the strips for weaving. As I am not short of pumpkins, I
would like to try this out. However, I am not sure how to dry the pumpkin
skins. Has anybody tried this?"

Sharon
gordonse@one.net