permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Weaving with pumpkin skins

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Kate Halstead" <rockyprairie@earthlink.net>
  • To: "'permaculture'" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Weaving with pumpkin skins
  • Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 07:41:49 -0800

Recently, I looked into the history of pumpkin usage in North American
native cultures in the New England area (pre-euro invasion.) I ran across
mention of dried pumpkin strips being woven into mats, but these mats were a
food storage strategy (cooked into stew/soup later) as well as an item of
monetary exchange. I didn't run across any mentions of separating the skin
from the meat or non-food usage.

Kate