permaculture - Re: [permaculture] A Permanent Culture:-Rural or Urban or......

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Laurence Gaffney" <lgaffney@bigpond.com>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] A Permanent Culture:-Rural or Urban or......
  • Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 10:20:29 +1000

Some thoughts:-
1. Our understanding/comprehension of what a sustainable/permanent culture
might look like will determine the direction we take with our Permaculture
Design.
2. Permaculture Design by definition must be about planning ahead.
3. One goal of a Permculture Design must surely be to achieve a balance of
inputs and outputs across the "system boundaries" at some future point. (This
point may not even be in our own lifetimes so we must avoid evaluating
prematurely.)
4. An energetic evaluation in the thermodynamic sense of the here and now
can only provide partial information for consideration when
undertaking/evaluating Permaculture Design. Energetic consideration
(predictively) of the Design throughout the various phases of implementation
is at least as important.
5. The growing/evolving/dynamic nature of a Permaculture is a given.
Static, now focused energetic evaluation is of limited relevance.

Laurence Gaffney