permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Investing

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Marimike6@cs.com
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Investing
  • Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 10:15:10 EDT

I'm fascinated by this talk of commoditizing water.

This is inevitable when it comes to desalinization and such schemes. They
cost money. Such "new water" is like any other commodity, and a worthwhile
venture investment.

I have deep moral qualms, though, about anyone selling their fossil water--
as Michigan tried to do several years ago. They were planning to sell access
their aquifer to Nestle so it could be bottled and sold, until people found
out and the popular clamor killed what was virtually a done deal. A good
thing,
too.

In the US and across the world, aquifers are being depleted at a much faster
rate than replenishment. This fossil water is exactly comparable to oil
reserves. People who sell it are short term rich and long term fools. IMO.

BTW there is a reall nifty method now being explored of desalinating sea
water by means of a simple long tube. It holds some promise as being an
affordable
way to get out of the water crash we might otherwise be headed for later this
century.

http://wrf.curtin.edu.au/projects/projectfour.html

Before parking your life savings with Woodside Hydrocarbon, remember that it
might not work out according to rosiest projections. Remember when hydrogen
was going to be the next sure thing? We're not quite there yet.