permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Lawrence London hosts this list!

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Keith Johnson <keithdj@mindspring.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Lawrence London hosts this list!
  • Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2005 16:12:30 -0500

Since we all all adults, I think we can mutually acknowledge that words are words, and not sticks, stones, arrows, bullets, or bombs. Hence our use of terms like attack, tear down, slam, and destroy are themselves inflations of simple expressions of anger, sorrow, and / or fear. All that has been expressed are merely emotions. Adding the terminologies of war do nothing to further the conversation and exchange of opinions, but instead further add to the conflict. We can acknowledge the hurts and wounds caused by words, but if we simply remember that love and care are the motivating, and mutual, ethical foundations of Permaculture and our own common denominators, can't we simply support, AND FORGIVE, the honest communication of feelings without interpreting them through a warlike terminologies which require blame and scapegoats, an US and THEM interpretation?

In my opinion, Larry has done NONE of the things of which you accuse him. He has merely expressed a feeling. If we, like children and adolescents, interpret that as attack, tearing down, slamming and destroying, we thus become the flimsy, weak-hearted victims of one another, blaming and shaming and dividing. In other words we become the very thing we were criticizing. Is this a mature response?

When a large group of people were asked if George W were a uniter or a divider, half said divider and half said uniter. The results speak for themselves.

If we are afraid of the expression of anger (or fear or sorrow), then we are already failing to love.

Love consents to feel, even, or especially, another's fear, sorrow and anger. We can sympathize and, thus, forgive. The loveless heart requires a victim and all the war and retribution that accompanies it. We can, and must, design a culture that understands, and renders obsolete, these loveless and weak-hearted interpretations of another's truth.

Respectfully,
Keith

Greg wrote:

All,

I agree that Larry London has done a fine job of creating and facilitating the list, there is no denying this. Where my heart hurts is when someone attacks another unprovoked. I think that is where the problem lies. The world is no better off by these actions, it just serves to destroy people and their dreams.

We are all entitled to our opinions. I think that it is crossing a line of respect to tear down others ideas simply because one does not agree. It also creates a shallow environment where people don't want to participate. I for one want all to feel welcome to participate without the possibility of being slammed.

Greg Peterson
The Urban Farm

I'd like to second the motion that this list owes more to Lawrence London
than to any other contributor. He makes a first class host, and gives form to the
enterprise.

Anyone unhappy with some comment or another made by anyone is certainly
welcome to give voice to his complaint.

M. Elvin

Keith Johnson
Permaculture Activist Magazine