permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Re: course format

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "L.Santoyo Designs" <santoyo@earthflow.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Re: course format
  • Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2005 17:25:45 -0800

Friends,

Many design course formats have indeed sprung up through the years... especially (or primarily?) in the US.

I have been a full time Permaculture Designer since 1989. I've taught many times with Scott Pittman and, years and years ago, with Bill Mollison. I have also had the pleasure to teach with other respected American teachers including Tim Murphy, Jude Hobbs, Toby Hemenway and Penny Livingston-Stark. Seems that we have all managed to "get" and deliver the same information -but of course with different styles, expertise and opinions.

I must confess -I am an "invisible structures" kind-a-guy -that is what most fascinated me about Bill Mollison's courses... But I must say that -as much as I cry to my students that "Permaculture Design is not just about plants!" -even I couldn't agree that one could teach a Certificate Course and not include "issues such as water, climate, trees, soils, etc..."

I do agree that Permaculture is about design, but I think that Michael Kramer fails to point out that the design THEORY is deeply rooted in an understanding of the natural world... and that that theory is what most separates Permaculture Design from all other design disciplines -and could never be left out.

I agree with Scott Pittman that the standardized curriculum has been set and has been worked out for some time already -and works very well for many.

Now, as everyone has pointed out, there are so many variations on the theme. In addition to two-week residential courses, I've taught at two-week non-residential courses... good, but not as good... Back in 1991 -we taught one of the very first "neighborhood courses" where we broke the mold and cut up the same two-week-intensive -over a series of weekends, in an urban environment... Since then I've seen on-line courses (that one I don't get at all?) and now micro-courses... (what's next 12-step courses? The Permaculture Patch?) I will defend a certain amount of variation and go so far as to insist, as Toby Hemenway pointed out, that there are merits to many of them -but not all of them...

IMO -the two-week residential course is still the best (and is my most preferred). But let me qualify that to say: I teach at least one two-week residential course a year and I teach at least one six-weekend format course every year too. -trying to fit the pattern of a new emerging EcoUrban demographic...

With respect,

Larry

Larry Santoyo, Director
EarthFlow Design Works &
The Center of Natural Design
San Luis Obispo, CA
805.459.0452

see my work:
http://www.earthflow.com/consulting.html

see my upcoming course:
EcoUrbanism and the Future of Sustainability, Los Angeles, CA
http://www.earthflow.com/courses2004/index.shtml

see my teaching and design associates:
http://www.earthflow.com/courses2004/courseinstructors.shtml

L.F.London wrote:

Michael Kramer wrote:

I could very easily design a certification course that is different from the
current model which focused on the design of a business, a political party,
or a school.

It is possible to cover the permaculture design process without
needing to cover issues such as water, climate, trees, soils, etc. For

I can't believe anyone could write such a thing. I am totally nonplussed by this.

permaculture is not about these things, it is about design, and design
covers numerous aspects of human existence. I love the certification course,
but it is narrow in focus.

Regarding the issue of consistency, I used to think we had that, but there
are too many people who are unaware of the so-called rules, which is why
more and more educational offerings don't reflect the earlier versions of
the design course. There's a lot more diversity now than I think we are all
aware.

Unbelievable.

--
L.F.London