permaculture - Re: [permaculture] attracting insects for chicken feed

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Dennis Argall <dennisargall@bigpond.com>
  • To: paul@richsoil.com, permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] attracting insects for chicken feed
  • Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2005 11:08:28 +1100

On 03/03/2005, at 12:45 PM, Paul Wheaton wrote:

Is there a tree I could plant that would be particularly good at attracting insects that
would provide insects for my chickens?

Hi Paul,

I don't know what space you have, or what existing trees, but we have had great success in recent times NOT with bringing the trees to the chooks [pardon my Australian vernacular] but with taking the chooks to the trees. We have an ElectraNets (available variously) a 50 metre mesh electric fence, with tread-in posts, which makes the job easy.
We have just had them spend several months totally clearing a great variety weeds from forest understorey - along with an hefty insect population. With added grain 'scratch mix' tossed into the most difficult and discouraging bits of undergrowth - providing courage an enthusiams to the birds. They have returned to chook house fit and with a healthy outdoorsy outlook!

cheers

Dennis