permaculture - [permaculture] rooftop garden questions

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Mitchell Out" <iamnotanashtray@riseup.net>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] rooftop garden questions
  • Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 18:31:14 -0500 (EST)

i am going to have a roof garden this year. i've ordered my seeds and i'm
playing out collections of containers and soil, along with a raincatching
system. i'm wondering if anyone has any broad advice, but specifically i'd
like to ask:

-does anyone have any recomendations for trying to grow corn from a
container? is it possible to grow healthy corn in just topsoil and
compost? i know it has a taproot, but i'd really like to find a way to
grow it up there.

-i apparently forgot to place this in my seed order, but i want to try to
grow Amaranth, but i can't seem to find any information on it, aside from
the place i'm buying seeds from (seeds of change). i've tried gardening
encyclopedias to no avail. could it grow in zone 6 or 7, and could it be
grown in a container?