permaculture - [permaculture] Re: Juglones/asthma/sensitive plants

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: surpriseitsvicky <rejuved1@comcast.net>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Re: Juglones/asthma/sensitive plants
  • Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 12:03:39 -0800

A site that lists the plants sensitive to black walnut trees is https://www.bachmans.com/tipsheets/Woodies/BlackWalnuts_print.cfm . With the right plants, I don't see why it couldn't make a good guild addition. It has tremendous food/medicinal/building properties.

In what I have read, their isn't a direct respiratory effect on humans except that the pollen in the male flower parts (catkins) is a common allergen- just as grasses, acacias, dust and mold can be. I would note when asthma flares up, and see if the black walnuts are in bloom. I grew up with asthma and ate a lot of California Black Walnuts (Juglans californica) without ill effect (swimming in LA smog was the culprit). Even the effect on fish results in the slowing of breathing, the opposite of asthma. I have used mullein and chamomile tea for my child's asthma with great results. I am going to try raspberry tea as it has anti-spasmodic effects, but we haven't had any problems for a long time now. Feel free to email me if you want more information.

Take care,
Vicky, RN

Cogito, ergo.... VROOOM!

  • [permaculture] Re: Juglones/asthma/sensitive plants, surpriseitsvicky, 02/21/2005