permaculture - [permaculture] stove-fuel emmissions

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: david cuthbertson <scienceinthegreen@yahoo.co.uk>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] stove-fuel emmissions
  • Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 11:02:10 +0000 (GMT)

Hi,
My father is a retired combustion engineer with
potential access to emissions analysis equipment and a
strong interest in trees. He read with horror of the
millions of women and children worldwide who die from
pollution from cooking fires; of the unnecessary
deforestation as a result of poor stove design.
Charcoal is seen as a 'smokeless' fuel, but it is only
smokeless for the end user; unburnt hydrocarbons are
traditionally vented directly into the atmosphere.
Gasification may be more efficient, but is the
financial cost beyond most living in, say, sub-Saharan
Africa?

He has asked me to collect detailed information on:
1. Stove design and efficiency
2. Charcoal burning design and efficiency
3. Fuel species - sustainable management
4. On the ground people/projects with whom he liaise.

This is a connected problem, possibly best solved on a
grass-roots local level. The choice of stove design
should not solely be based on fuel source(s) and
combustion efficiency, but also on the practical needs
of the cook herself (in practice mostly women). This
is why I have posted this to the permaculture list.

Many thanks,

David (Brighton, UK)
scienceinthegreen@yahoo.co.uk

http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com