permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Re: trees & ponds

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Paul Wheaton <paul@richsoil.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Re: trees & ponds
  • Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2005 11:48:13 -0800 (PST)

> -If you want the pond to outlive you, definitely keep the trees off of it.

By "it", do you mean the dam? Or do you mean the whole pond?

> -I'm only passingly familiar with your area, but I bet your summers are
> pretty
> hot...

They can get hot. 50 miles west of here is quite desert-ish. But we are on
a mountain,
in a wee valley. So it's a little cooler and wetter than Spokane.

> .unless you have a very deep pond, and/or good flow-through in the dry
> months,

We're shooting for depths of at least 12 feet. And we're not going to put
fish in any
pond that doesn't get at least 1gpm of flow throughout the summer and that
flow is
dribbled into the pond from a height of at least six feet.

> water temperature, not pond productivity, is going to be your limiting
> factor for
> trout. Shade, whether from docks, trees, or floating gardens, will
> probably be
> important

That's what I'm thinking too.

By "floating garden" I keep imagining something like peat bogs: a layer of
organic
matter floating on the water with a variety of plant life. Is this what you
are
thinking?

> - [woodsjay said] Also run the incoming water (if there is an appropriate
> > grade) into the pond with a wide mouthed flume so that the
> > water falls as a curtain from a height. This will both cool
> > and oxygenate the water both of which the trout need.

This is the plan.