permaculture - RE: [permaculture] Question about yields

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Carrie Shepard" <outlikeelijah@gbronline.com>
  • To: "'permaculture'" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [permaculture] Question about yields
  • Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2004 09:04:00 -0600

Isn't this one of those questions that you can't really answer because it
isn't a perfect world??

It's the old 'don't count your chicks before they've hatched' !! Even with
candling, some of them just don't make it. 2 days post hatch, that's when
you can pretty well guarantee all are survivors, or that's how it works with
my incubating skills thus far.

Some crops come up fine and then get eaten by a critter while I'm tending to
the animals or the other side of the garden. Some stuff grows in spite of
any and all neglect -- like the leeks I planted last fall that didn't grow
when I expected them, but came up and are ready for to use now. I am not
market gardening yet as I've spent the last few years just working on my
soil building and trying to grow our own food. I spent a lot of time the
past 2 summers teaching others to garden and so can say I grew at least 3
gardeners, encouraged a lot more who have taken the time to tour my place,
and planted quite a few gardening habits in the children who have visited.

This next season I'm hoping to sell extras at our local farmer's market on
Sat am's and we're trying to get a hoophouse up for my daughter to start an
herb business and sell veggie starts.

I've been using John Jeavon's How to Grow More Veggies... And I haven't
reached his yields by any means yet, but I also haven't grasped good
fertilizing techniques yet. It took me a whole season to realize that I
never had watered well. I'm learning, slowly, but surely though...

Blessings,
Carrie