permaculture - [permaculture] Question about yields

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Leunam" <m.iglesias@sb.mju.es>
  • To: "'permaculture'" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Question about yields
  • Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 10:10:20 +0100

Hello, I'm not sure about how to make the question nor if this is the ideal
distribution list, but I'm thinking about making a living selling the
vegetables and fruits and nuts I will grow, so I'm trying to find out a
minimun acreage.

I've read varying amounts for example 90 to 180 Kg of vegetables in 9 m2
from raised beds (John Seymour books) or from internet:

http://www.permaculture.com/who/davidblume.htm
" Our Farm fed approximately 450 people through 150 shares in its CSA at
its peak. Annually, it grew as much as 100,000 pounds of food per acre,
without a tractor, using only hand tools, on a terraced, 35 degree slope
similar to farms in China or Guatemala. Dave used a combination of
biointensive and permaculture techniques to produce these impressive
yields."

Could you tell me your actual yields in order to make me an idea? (the land
is irrigated from a near river)

Actually I'm working as a computer science and get out at 15h, so initially
I can go on living from my salary so long as necesary.

Thank you very much.

Manuel

PD: Forgive my terrible english