permaculture - RE: [permaculture] Eco X-mas

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Paul Wheaton <paul@richsoil.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [permaculture] Eco X-mas
  • Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2004 11:05:48 -0800 (PST)

I just use newspaper for wrapping. They can be fun to cut certain pictures
out - or draw
on faces. And the comics are always the best.

Using real boughs for things is always good. Usually, trimming boughs from
the lower
branches of trees improves the health of the tree and the ground (especially
if you have
grazing animals). It also improves the quality of the wood when the day
arrives to
harvest it for lumber. When christmas is over, many animals on the farm love
to graze on
the branches. Plus the branches can help to provide a variety of
habitat/mulch. Plus:
it smells like christmas!

As for the tree: the real trees are typically grown just to be used as
Christmas trees.
Maybe even a permaculture farm! Don't be bashful to have a real tree!

I think that the more the people that live in the plastic world interact with
the earth -
even if it's just a Christmas tree, the better!