permaculture - [permaculture] Re: Hobbitate for Humanity....

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Will Carey <cure@rtinet.com>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Re: Hobbitate for Humanity....
  • Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2004 14:26:52 -0800

on 11/8/04 9:00 AM, permaculture-request@lists.ibiblio.org at
permaculture-request@lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

> Message: 3
> Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2004 10:14:18 -0500
> From: Jay Woods <woodsjay@cox.net>
> Subject: Re: [permaculture] Re: permaculture Digest, Vol 22, Issue 9
> To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
>
> There is far too much overengineering here. Remember that 10 foot diameter
> corrugated steel pipe (http://www.ncspa.org/ for the trade association and
> http://www.acipco.com/ for an example company) is used to give farmers
> access
> to their fields underneath freeways and to provide drainage for streams. The
> key thought here is that arched structures (like hobbit holes) carry far
> more
> load for the cross section than do load bearing flat ceilings.

Fellow Hobbits...

I agree ...arched structures are best. I've researched some East Indian
sites on prefab ferro-cement technology with precast barreled vaults. But
they aren't easily buried and might tend to accumulate moisture between the
vault ends.

But in US....there's a firm in Texas with the most cost-effective method of
concrete dome construction I've found. They start with a big inflatable
balloon....

They also give "hands on training" every year for self-builders... Two or
three classes a year, I think.

They claim to have great success with underground structures....

<http://www.monolithic.com/plan_design/belowgrade/>

Will