permaculture - [permaculture] hobbit holes

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Albert Postema" <postema@nwlink.com>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] hobbit holes
  • Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2004 08:26:07 -0800

Greetings,
Some hobbit hole concepts for contemplation. We are planning on trying a new
method for underground shelters. We are designing a structure constructed of
three seperate but joining "cones". The structural shape will be dug into the
earth for concrete and rebar. Essentially, build it upside down. Lay rebar
and pour 4" of concrete using mainly onsite materials. We will use the same
form to create three structures, 13' diameter, that will be attached. Lifting
straps and lifting points will be installed prior to pour, laid under the
structure and as an integral part of the structure. The structures will be
dug into a minor hillside with 24-36" cover. The ensuing grade change will
result in a increase of planting surface area by 20-25%.

This project is still in its infancy, but plans on full details, photos, etc
on a website. (summer 2005)
Keep on Keepin on
Albert Postema
Earthwise Excavation
Snohomish WA
www.fromthegrounddown.com

  • [permaculture] hobbit holes, Albert Postema, 11/08/2004