permaculture - [permaculture] guidance on guilds...

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Stephanie Gerson <sgerson@stanfordalumni.org>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] guidance on guilds...
  • Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2004 15:00:26 -0700

howdy folks,

Some friends and I are looking to weave somewhat of a food forest out of
a network of guilds in a community garden. So I'm writing to ask for
some site-specific advice.

Here’s the story: the garden is located in San Francisco, in usda zone
9b-10a. The specific site of interest is Northwest-facing, has a pretty
extreme slope (is erosion-prone), experiences strong winds from the west,
experiences considerable fog (and thus moisture), has sandy soil (but on-
site composting and vermicomposting provide healthy amendments), already
has an irrigation line (conducive to installing drip), and already has a
swale build along the irrigation line. Also, there are dwarf apple,
pear, plum, and lemon trees (apologies, I don’t know which varieties) on
the site, which could serve as core elements for guilds. There are also
smaller shrubs and trees, and I’d be glad to give additional details if
you’re interested.

I’m wondering, do you know of any apple, pear, plum, or lemon tree guilds
appropriate for this landscape? Or, do you know of any resources (books,
websites, otherwise) where I could find relevant information?

I’d Love to hear back, thank you.

peace
*Stephanie

Stephanie Gerson
sgerson@stanfordalumni.org
(c) 415.871.5683

  • [permaculture] guidance on guilds..., Stephanie Gerson, 10/17/2004