permaculture - [permaculture] PCD classes

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: McFarlandAIA@aol.com
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] PCD classes
  • Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2004 12:29:38 EDT

Toby writes:
<The huge group we are not reaching is the middle and upper-middle classes,
responsible for most resource use. They have ample means to afford a PDC,
but no way are they going to go to a shoe-string budget, pit-toilet/outdoor
shower/tent-camping 2 week course! I've seen them leave. Even the Sierra
Clubbing/LL Bean wearing Green types want comfort and beauty. A cheaper
course won't entice them, and these are the people who administer our
society. Yet there are very few $300/weekend, $1000/week courses, the type
they would consider going to. If you want to change society, you have to
reach the people who are doing the most to affect it.>

Presuming that Houston is an affluent area with a large population of
potential conversions to a more sustainable lifestyle, that is exactly why we
teach a
"working man's" class. That and the fact that most people can't take 10-14
consecutive days off from work and family. I haven't found one yuppie in our
classes who hasn't been convinced to downsize and were already halfway there
before they started the class. Also, they go on to apply PC principles to
their
regular lives and to their business lives, rather than becoming a PC Designer
and designing farms and ecosystems, although some in our group do that and
make
little money. We don't just graduate students and call them Designer's. Yes,
we give them a certificate, and with no real guidelines on interning, we have
continuing education and workshop outlet for them, if they have the time and
interest. We graduate 11 tomorrow and I am proud to be a part of the
continuum
of one person (me) making a difference exponentially to many others, and they
to others. I very much have enjoyed this dialog on the extremes of presenting
the class and to those who practice Permaculture. It has broadened my
continuing education in Permaculture.

Shawn McFarland, AIA, LEED
Permaculture Guild of Houston