permaculture - RE: [permaculture] the movement of angry men

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Edward" <edward@iinet.net.au>
  • To: "'permaculture'" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [permaculture] the movement of angry men
  • Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 22:26:11 +0800

Hello Folks

Here in Western Australia, far from the madding crowd, the practice and
sharing of ideas about sustainable living has had many ups & downs over
the years that I've been associated with it in the form of Permaculture.

I've seen people of both sexes share many emotions; joy, delight,
anxiety, anger, apathy, happiness etc., and I believe it's important to
separate the emotion from the message and the message from the
messenger.

However, that requires a maturity of character and independence of
thought usually only possible after considering many points of view and
removing one's own ego from the arena.

I am interested that in the USA, permaculture is known by some as the
movement of angry men. Whether Bill Mollison has demonstrated anger or
not is rather beside the point. Emotions tend to resonate with a
sympathetic mind and I suggest that a possibility is that there are
simply a lot of angry men in the US and that it is a cultural tendency
for them to express themselves in violent speech or action. There are
certainly pockets of that tendency here in Australia also.

Either way, just because Bill might be angry doesn't mean that I have to
be - in fact I was quite exhilarated by his obvious energy for the
subject.
I choose not to be angry, but to be enthusiastic.

And by the way, anger is not a 'bad' thing, just another emotion - it's
how one chooses to use the energy that matters.

M Scott Peck has famously illustrated the process of community
development from what he terms 'pseudocommunity' through chaos and
silence to a mature working, accepting, functional relationship. This
would appear to be an observable process for all community formation
(even online :)

However, there is one fundamental guideline - if there is to be a
community, then everyone has to commit to having it happen. And the only
people that may legitimately be excluded are those who are actively
seeking to prevent it from happening.

As I see this list though, it is not a community, but a useful tool, for
which I am grateful, and I thank you all.

Shall we share our solutions for a while then and leave the vitriol?

All the best, Edward

Edward Brown
edward@iinet.net.au