permaculture - Re: [permaculture] It's free on the web

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Chad Knepp <pyg@galatea.org>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] It's free on the web
  • Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 19:52:52 -0500

mIEKAL aND writes:
> This is a fascinating discussion, one that has happened endless times
> here at Dreamtime Village over the years & resulted in us not producing
> & hosting any further full length design courses. Guessing that the
> average income of folks that come thru here is somewhere between
> $2000-$4000 a year it got to the point that no one from our scene could
> afford to attend, & you can't very well bring in nationally known
> teachers if everyone is on a scholarship or work exchange. & our
> interest in producing courses was to bring the technology & skills into
> the rural area rather than produce a course where yuppies from the city
> who could shell out this amount would come from afar to attend the
> course. But rather than condemn the existing system or the fact that
> select folks have chosen to make their living from teaching
> permaculture (which in itself seems like a noble but frustrating
> cause), maybe the wrong question is being asked.
>
> What would it take to set up a free peer to peer open source system of
> permaculture training, knowledge base, & access to resources?
>
> The electronic information component of this is well on its way to
> being established, especially because of the efforts of a number of
> people on this list. But the information in itself is so much static
> unless it can be connected directly to real hands-on-training,
> education & skill-sharing. Right now the only groups in the US that I
> know that are actively promoting free access to classes tend to be the
> various infoshop collectives that have been setup by young urban
> anarchists, often times in squatted spaces that are temporary at best,
> but nonetheless reaching out to young folks who have boundless energy &
> spirit for taking action. I'd love to hear of others attempts at open
> access.

Very interesting direction, if I understand you correctly. I am
assuming you mean something along the lines of face-to-face voluntary
education/outreach.

I concur with your analysis that just reading books and websites
doesn't work for everyone and there is a legitimate need to offer low
cost/free permaculture education even if it isn't by the highest
qualified individuals. I am very interested in promoting [and
participating in] your above mentioned infoshop collective events.
Please annouce such events here.

--
Chad Knepp
perl -e 'print pack"H*","7079674067616c617465612e6f72670a"'