permaculture - Re: [permaculture] It's free on the web

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: mIEKAL aND <dtv@mwt.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] It's free on the web
  • Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 09:17:00 -0500

This is a fascinating discussion, one that has happened endless times here at Dreamtime Village over the years & resulted in us not producing & hosting any further full length design courses. Guessing that the average income of folks that come thru here is somewhere between $2000-$4000 a year it got to the point that no one from our scene could afford to attend, & you can't very well bring in nationally known teachers if everyone is on a scholarship or work exchange. & our interest in producing courses was to bring the technology & skills into the rural area rather than produce a course where yuppies from the city who could shell out this amount would come from afar to attend the course. But rather than condemn the existing system or the fact that select folks have chosen to make their living from teaching permaculture (which in itself seems like a noble but frustrating cause), maybe the wrong question is being asked.

What would it take to set up a free peer to peer open source system of permaculture training, knowledge base, & access to resources?

The electronic information component of this is well on its way to being established, especially because of the efforts of a number of people on this list. But the information in itself is so much static unless it can be connected directly to real hands-on-training, education & skill-sharing. Right now the only groups in the US that I know that are actively promoting free access to classes tend to be the various infoshop collectives that have been setup by young urban anarchists, often times in squatted spaces that are temporary at best, but nonetheless reaching out to young folks who have boundless energy & spirit for taking action. I'd love to hear of others attempts at open access.

mIEKAL