permaculture - [permaculture] Make the toolbox bigger/ was It's free on the web/ was question about PCDcourseprices

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "GlobalCirclenet" <webmaster@globalcircle.net>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Make the toolbox bigger/ was It's free on the web/ was question about PCDcourseprices
  • Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 09:25:25 -0600

I had no intention to provoke dissention, esp on a list for such a
necessary and timely topic. I said if people throw around that kind of
money it's no concern of mine, and stated my valid concern for the free
spread of permaculture information. I didn't single out anybody. I also
said I charge for my own products, so I'll leave it at that.

I do think your Gaia's Garden book is helpful. However, backyard gardens
that "combine low environmental impact, low maintenance once established,
and high yields with elegant aesthetics" may attract those who can afford
"elegant esthetics", but doesn't reach the broader potential of
permaculture to alter industrial agriculture. That may be a difficult and
elusive goal for any author. On a more positive note, I'm encouraged to
see interest in " free peer to peer open source system of permaculture
training, knowledge base, & access to resources" from "mIEKAL".

My own gardens are already organic simply because I won't pay for
chemicals, and all the critters are welcome because I won't pay for sprays
and such. Herbs, veggies, and flowers all grow together, not because I read
it somewhere but because I had to plant where I had room. But there is a
method in my madness, I'm trying to develop a reproducible food production
system for local profitability and sustainability, in a hostile climate
suited only to cattle and elk. The irony here is, ranchers with thousands
of acres can barely afford to eat. In my view, sustainability includes
sustaining the people who do the growing, sustaining farm families, and
maybe revitalizing rural America. Using permaculture to move in that
direction is my concern. Permaculture has a big toolbox, but it needs to be
even bigger.

paul tradingpost@gilanet.com
paul@largocreekfarms.com
http://medicinehill.net