permaculture - Re: [permaculture] earthships and greywater

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] earthships and greywater
  • Date: Sun, 05 Sep 2004 13:48:12 -0700

Scott Vlaun wrote:
My mother in law lives in Taos in a Mike Reynolds inspired earthship that her son Peter built about 10 years ago. For the most part it functions well but the greywater system from the kitchen is prone to overwhelming the planters that it drains into. In more recent greywater systems Peter installed valving to allow for sending the water to different places, both inside and out, and they seem to function quite well.

What exactly can be done with the laundry and dish detergent in greywater?
I happen to use BioPac environmentally friendly biodegradable versions of
these
but it still makes me nervous about long term potentioal for leaving
problematic residues
in soil.

Are there constructed wetlands "living systems" that can be built that will
break down detergents
in water so that it can safely flow across farm fields used for food
production?

Maybe we could do a little brainstorming about scaleable constructed wetlands
systems to handle greywater and storm runoff.

LL
--
L.F.London
lfl@intrex.net