permaculture - Re: [permaculture] earthships and greywater

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Jocelyn Paquette & Bob Ewing <sixdegrees@baynet.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] earthships and greywater
  • Date: Sun, 05 Sep 2004 15:38:38 -0400

Greetings, I'd like to thank everyone who has responded to date. We are compiling the information and will share our efforts after the ship is built.

Bob Ewing
Scott Vlaun wrote:

My mother in law lives in Taos in a Mike Reynolds inspired earthship that her son Peter built about 10 years ago. For the most part it functions well but the greywater system from the kitchen is prone to overwhelming the planters that it drains into. In more recent greywater systems Peter installed valving to allow for sending the water to different places, both inside and out, and they seem to function quite well. I think that Ontario will provide some different challenges than Taos though with shorter winter days to keep interior planters in rapid growth and more freezing issues outside, even on the south side of the building which is typically not a problem in Taos.

I'm in Maine, so I'll be very interested to hear what you come up with for a system. The most successful system I've seen here, was a long, deeply buried perforated pipe draining to a series of small ponds with lots of plants. I'm installing a similar system which ties into my foundation drain around my root cellar. I'll keep the group posted as we get our sink drains on line this winter.

Thanks i'd like to hear more when you are ready.

Bob Ewing

Good Luck,

Scott Vlaun
Otisfield ME USA