permaculture - [permaculture] Re: Invasive species

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: David Neeley <dbneeley@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Re: Invasive species
  • Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2004 17:58:56 -0700 (PDT)

While you may be right in "general" terms, I would point to
some of the various species of bamboo as being extremely
invasive here and there...to the point that native species
of plants may be completely choked out over substantial
areas if left unchecked.

I happen to *love* bamboo and I am studying the various
kinds with an eye toward planting quite a bit of it in the
future...but I am carefully appraising the characteristics
of the many varieties before determining which to use.

David

On 8/30/04 7:57 PM, "Rain Tenaqiya"
<raincascadia@yahoo.com> wrote:

> The idea that invasive species are only invasive in
chronically disturbed
> ecosystems only applies to early-successional species.

"The more I study so-called invasive species, the more I
have to agree with David Theodoropoulos's book, "Invasion
Biology: Critique of a Pseudoscience." There's almost no
evidence that any "invasive" (I loathe the
term) species itself is directly responsible for extinction
or ecosystem harm; they are generally a symptom of damage."