permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Leaf Cutter Ants

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Kevin Topek" <ktopek@houston.rr.com>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Leaf Cutter Ants
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 17:08:21 -0500

Fire ants are also tilling, prefering to build nests in dry soil that is low
in organic matter. To counteract them, place composted mulch on and around
their mounds. They will carry compost and fungus inside with them and this
will decrease their activity in that location. I suspect the beneficial
fungi for compost and soils is harmful and toxic to fire ants. They will
move on, but after having improved the soil structure. A well mulched site
harbors few fire ants.

Kevin