permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Impending massive seal hunt in Canada

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Jocelyn Paquette" <sixdegrees@baynet.net>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Impending massive seal hunt in Canada
  • Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 19:32:39 -0400

greetings,

----- Original Message -----
From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
Sent: Tuesday, April 13, 2004 8:08 PM

> Bob <Jocelyn Paquette> wrote:
>
> > nice, but ineffective as a protest or political comment. cute though.
Might
> > make a good picket sign or tshirt, though. Somethings are just
commercial.

> I thought it was a pretty good statement.

not one with any meaning or impact on a major socio-economic reality.

> > So do we know who benefits from the commercial hunt? Are they (the
>
> Claude just informed us that it was jobs and sales of sealskins.

Well I am aware of what Calude said and while he did state the obvious it
was seriously incomplete in its analysis. I'd say the true (short term )
beneficiaries are the owners of the commercial operations and perahps the
government, who does not have to face an angry population who would possibly
be jobless if not for the hunt. At a time of a major provincial civil
service strike,in Newfoundland,and an unpopular Federal government pondering
an election, economic development, despite its negative long term
consequences, makes people happy; the I-got-a-job strategy works well.

still unaswered.

what plans do those who seek to end someone's job
> > have to replace it? Any transitional strategies in mind or is it easier
> > being nasty or cute?
>
> That's like suggesting that here in my area we embark on a massive
hunt-trap
> program to glean deer/rabbit/fox/racoon skins from the countryside for the
fashion and footwear industry.
> Deerskin SUV seatcovers ..... how tony.

this makes no sense and has nothing to do with my comments.

> PHOQUE the canucks who would participate in the upcoming seal hunt. Maybe
they will have a change of heart.

maybe they will, but with such weak commentary and no action i doubt it. I
guess you believe that it does good to wish otehrs ill. It must be very
empowering and certainly saves actually doing anything. I beleieve that ill
will causes ill will, much as violence creates violence but to each her/his
own.

> My personal physician is a Canadian and a very fine doctor. She would
probably laugh if someone called her a canuck.

Good for her, although the word canuck was never in question so this point
has no relevance.

Bob
www.restoretheearth.ca