permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Pond question

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Kevin Topek" <ktopek@houston.rr.com>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Pond question
  • Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 14:14:27 -0600

Dear Anne,

If you must line your pond, cover the liner with dirt to create an anaerobic
bottom sediment for the health of the pond. You do this by excavating the
pond 6" deeper than you require, line it, then backfill 6" of the bottom
dirt. This hides the liner, minimizes punctures and helps the ecosystem in
general. I do not recommend carpet.

Gambusia fish east mosquito larvae after they have matured a few days. The
fish are easy to obtain from other ponds. Dragonfly nymphs also eat
mosquitoes.
Easily available water plants are: parrotfeather, pickrelweed, mallows,
duckweed, sedges, horsetail and a whole host of other weeds. These all
establish well.
Shade is necessary, so plant the edges. I am letting my parrotfeather take
over to shade my pond in full sun until the bananas come out and help with
shading. It has worked well for the winter and I will remove 75% of the
water weed cover in a few weeks as shade leaves emerge.

I like a pond at least 40" deep in one spot, preferably more! I stair-step
the sides so a toddler or person can climb out if they fall in. I make a
deep area, trashcan size, not necessarily in the middle, to stay warm in the
winter and cool in the summer. Do not make a steep edge, it will inhibit
amphibian crossings.

Make sure the pond drains the yard, or you waste water. It may need
occasional refilling from a water source. Ponds have wild ecosystem swings
in the early stages, so be prepared. You may lose some species until it
establishes a healthy ecosystem.

I prefer ponds that feed into and from the water table, that means no liner.
If you dig deeply, you may find clay. Mind you, I'm on all gumbo clay and
the first water table is shallow, 12' or less. I have had marvelous success
with many unlined ponds, including sandy ones, for clients here on the
Texas Gulf Coast. If your unlined pond fails, you can always dig deeper and
line it. My pond has increased the number of species in my urban yard by
about 70, or two orders of magnitude.

Have fun with this!

Kevin Topek