permaculture - RE: [permaculture] 'Can someone turn the heat down' of Greece ;-)

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Sharon Gordon" <gordonse@one.net>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [permaculture] 'Can someone turn the heat down' of Greece ;-)
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 16:19:45 -0500

-
What I would like to know now is how I can arrange things so that I can
stop burning solid fuel and make the whole situation less destructive and
more sustainable .

***

Sounds like you are making lots of progress! One thing I can think of is
that you might be able to do is to use wind power to charge some (big)
batteries. And then use the batteries to run an electric heater.

One other thing I can think of is if you would find it less painful to burn
an annual crop than the lovely old trees. If so you might like a corn
stove:
http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles/monroe42.html
http://www.magnumfireplace.com/#

If it does turn out that wood continues to be your best solution, you may be
able to make a more efficient stove and burn a lot less wood, particularly
for cooking.
http://www.efn.org/~apro/AT/attitlepage.html

Sharon
gordonse@one.net