permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Extremely fast growing paulownias

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Extremely fast growing paulownias
  • Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2003 01:50:09 -0800

Kevin Topek wrote:

Paulownias grew like the weeds they are in the Piedmont (central) and
Coastal Plains of North Carolina. I was under the impression that the wood
was a favorite for coffins in Japan. It is my observation that they like

Paulownia wood is highly prized in Japan as it is here in the USA: big fines
of you're caught Paulownia poaching
- happens, moonlight requisitioning with chainsaw and FWD truck or jeep, like
cacti in the Southwest,
just search through Google. The Japanese have traditionally used it for boxes
to hold such things as sets of woodworking chisels.

cool and very moist temperate conditions. During the spring, the ground
beneath the trees is littered with purple bells that are the fallen
blossoms. I also noticed when they sustained wind damage, the cracked wood
did not rot rapidly at all, as would be expected from a fast growing, thin
celled wood. Paulownias are being looked at for restoration of NC coastal
land played out by cotton and hog farming.

That's great to hear. Waxmyrtle grows very fast too - can harvest the waxy
berries for candlemaking.
It would be good to grow Live Oak on a commercial basis, for woodworkers. Its
the hardest oak in the USA and is rivalled
only by Japanese white oak which is used for chisel handles and woodworking
plane blocks or dai's.

--
L.F.London
lfl@intrex.net