permaculture - RE: [permaculture] Sheeps management

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Antonio Scotti" <antonio.scotti@tiscali.es>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [permaculture] Sheeps management
  • Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2003 16:32:21 +0100

Hello Richard,

> We typically ran about 3-4 sheep per acre. At that stocking level
>we had to supplement their feed with grain and hay in summer. So
>I would think 1 or 2 per acre would prevent them from over grazing
>the pasture. A ewe with lamb will consume twice as much as a dry
>sheep too.

I was hoping that a fenced space of 200 or 300 square meters, divided into 2
or 3 runs
in analogy with chicken rotational foraging systems would have been enough.
It comes to my mind that they could perhaps stay in a fenced space overnight
and then be taken to out
during the day to a piece of countryside, right outside the farm.Which means
that somebody will probably have to
stay with them all the time.
I also wander that if the sheeps need to interact with the school-children
then this last solution might be a bit
unpractical because it would make difficult for them to stay close to the
sheeps...

>We used to have to:
>-
>- cut their feet a couple of times
What do you mean?

If I need milk from the sheep do they necessarily have to have given birth
to offsprings in order to have milk
or do they ordinarily produce milk like, I gather, milk's cows?

>If you mean their dung all around the place, there's not much you
>can do about that. If you mean overgrazing
Here, yes I ment overgrazing but also scavenging the topsoil with their
hooves.

But how much milk can a sheep provide daily if fed in the right way?

Another thought comes to my mind. How, having lots of children around every
day with all their noise etc., may affect the sheeps?
Are carobs a good fodder for them?

How importat it is, that if there have to be two of them, can they be both
of the same sex or is it better to have male and female together?

Cheers
Antonio