permaculture - RE: [permaculture] Extremely fast growing paulownias

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Michael Murphy" <michael@ctsl.com>
  • To: "elijah smith" <elijahs@earthlink.net>, "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: RE: [permaculture] Extremely fast growing paulownias
  • Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 21:02:39 -0600

Hard to tell why he thinks there's no demand, so no one will grow them, when
there's a big demand for the wood, which can be harvested as early as six
years, and they are widely grown. We interplanted 100 with chestnuts, about
2 miles back from the ocean 30 miles south of San Francisco. Even on careful
drip irrigaiton (they don't like getting their feet wet), about half died and
none grew the advertised six feet or more a year. They don't like wind,
which we have in spades. I wouldn't plant them again, except in a very warm,
well-drained, wind-protected area.