permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Steps Toward an Economy of Permaculture

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: rmhoward@omninet.net.au
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Steps Toward an Economy of Permaculture
  • Date: Sat, 08 Nov 2003 13:10:00 +0800

On 7 Nov 2003 at 21:32, RIA SWIFT wrote:

> FYI...there is very simple and highly effective method for changing
> those 'addictions' that is way beyond cognitive or behavior therapy.
> IMO modern psychotherapy is very far behind what other non-traditional
> therapists and outside therapies are accomplishing. The most
> accessible one that I know of is The Sedona Method. They have a great
> web site and give you a sample for free. It was developed by a
> physicist, for whatever that is worth. Creates real and lasting
> change. Well worth checking out. Ria

With respect - googling sedona therapy and going through the first 100 odd
links produced
nothing but advertising. This, in itself is enough to make me suspicious of
claims about any
putative benefits. The only independent description of the actual therapy i
found was in some
flame wars in newsgroups. It basically sounds like rehashed new age feel good
crap to me.

My point about 'addiction' was that it was a by product of the dislocation
and devaluing of
reproductive work as a consequence of the growth of capitalist economics with
it's emphasis
on productive values.

As John Schinnerer pointed out(quoting Bateson) addictions and habits share
common
features. In my experience, people with 'bad' (i.e. unsustainable) addictions
usually replace
them with sustainable habits. But learning new habits when you are old is
much harder than
learning new habits when you are young. Which is why child care is such an
important issue
in reproductive economics and why PC in schools is almost as important as
(say)sex
education.

Addictive behaviour is a pathology of selfishness ( i need etc..) and this
has it's origins in a
social order that values selfishness above all other things(capitalism). Also
we must recognize
that capitalism (more specifically the CIA in Vietnam and Columbia) supplies
the drugs
because there is a profit to be made. The introduction of heroin into the US,
Australia and
Europe, (initially by the CIA) was at least partly due to the recognition
(buy the CIA and
others) of it's potential disruptive impact on the organisation of working
class resistance to the
agenda of global capitalism.

Overcoming drug addiction is a long term process and essentially involves
people being
reorientated into developing reproductive skills in their daily lives. The
physical consequences
of drugs, and the social networks available to individuals are critical
issues. Above all people
need a rationale which critiques the culture of selfishness known as
capitalism - this is why
religion works for many people.

Real and lasting change will only occur when capitalism loses it's hegemonic
power over the
world's people.

Bob