permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Curly dock - rumex crispus, uses of

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "georg parlow" <georg@websuxxess.com>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Curly dock - rumex crispus, uses of
  • Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2003 20:20:05 +0200

> Is curly dock a perennial?

sure is

> Does it have food or forage value?

quite an o.k. spinach, but toxic if raw (and man i sure know what i am
saying - after making nice veggies a few times i once fixed a gib salad of
the crisp leaves, a trace of onion and plenty of pumpkinseed oil - i hated
my guts for 24 hours and got sick for years (literally) if only seeing curly
dock stands out from a train window...

> The seeds it sets are abundant and probably long lived in the soil.

50+ years it is said

forget plowing. if you plow you end up with zillions of tiny plants - each
rootsegment sprouts. but if you keep improving the soil i would expect
succession to move on...eventually. but it is gug fairly easy.

> I am thinking of leaving it as permanent cover, to alternate with the rye
that will inevitably follow and flourish for over eight months
> alongside it. When I need more space for crops of trees I can easily
remove portions of it, For the long haul it may keep other problem
> weeds in check, protect and build the soil aand help control erosion on
slopes.

sounds good. keep us posted!

keep growing,
georg

P.S.: the mettle seeds are about ready - hope they dont irradiate incoming
mail in bigbrotherland. would need a snailmail adress.

* * *
Georg Parlow
g.parlow@zartbesaitet.net
http://zartbesaitet.net/gp
A-1230 Wien, R.Zellergasse 70/4/1

http://zartbesaitet.net
die Webseite für hochempfindliche Menschen