permaculture - [permaculture] Can language be recycled?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "robscott@freeshell.org" <robscott@freeshell.org>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Can language be recycled?
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 17:14:31 +0000 (UTC)

John Schinnerer wrote back:
> Hmm, sounds like a war/military metaphor. Is that an example of the
> language use issue you're addressing?

John,

Thanks for taking up my point about language use.

I was using the word "defend" in the sense it is used when talking about
debates, conversation, "defending a point" etc. I'm not trying to get
defensive here, but if you have a proposal for another word I'm ready to
hear it.

I don't follow your propaganda point however. I'm formulating questions
and statements about economic and social systems.
Is your point that I cannot use the terms "capitalism" and "democracy"
without falling into the pitfalls of propaganda? What terms would you
prefer? Or better yet, what system would you prefer?

Rob Scott