permaculture - [permaculture] Hierarchies and power...

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Marsha Hanzi <mhanzi@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Hierarchies and power...
  • Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2003 09:31:55 -0700 (PDT)

Toby mentions the healthy function of hierarchies as a form of simplification of certain types of administration and information flow. The problem comes when the top of the hierarchy has control over the lower levels, and this control reduces space of action ( like who can practice and who cannot practice permaculture, or that one can ONLY present material out of Bill MollisonĀ“s book, as once was said to me...) If the ones at the top had the vision of facilitating action rather than impeding and controling it, then I would say that that was a well-functioning hierarchy.

Unfortunately the two PC hierarchies with which I have had contact were not working from the "facilitation of action" premise.  But I observe that both seem to be evolving towards someting other...Hope so.

Marsha Hanzi
Instituto de Permacultura da Bahia
www.permacultura-bahia.org.br

Do you Yahoo!?