permaculture - [permaculture] permaculture-SF novel

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Gaden@ziplip.com" <Gaden@ziplip.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] permaculture-SF novel
  • Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2003 09:10:23 -0700 (PDT)

Re: dwayne's "Hi oh and don't forget that the Dune series by Frank Herbert
was written as an explicit attempt to wake people up to the perils of
environmental
degradation."

I wasn't aware that Dune was written as a warning of environmental problems.
Certainly, Dune had an interesting shadow character in the local planetary
ecologist, Liet-Kynes. It would have been good if Herbert had elaborated more
upon Liet-Kynes's ideas to ecologically transform the deserts of Arrakis. (or
the ideas of his father, Pardot.)

If I had to pick a Herbert novel for nomination, I think I would have gone
with his second novel, the Hellstrom's Hive. A hidden utopean community of
genetically modified humans living underground in an insect hive structured
community. Strange story.

I recall that in the early seventies, one of those environmental panic movies
was shown on television called 'The Hellstrom Chronicles". ("Food Of The
Gods" was another one to scare the crap out of innocent kids!!) It was a
documentary style film about insects taking over the planet. It was kind of
similar in theme to the Hellstrom Hive book. So it was confusing whether it
was meant as fact or fiction. Weird scarey film.

To make it even stranger, half way through the showing, it was interrupted
and taken off the air. A rather flustered station (TV) presenter came on the
air with an announcement that the rest of the film would not be shown. Due to
an apparent official intervention that it was deemed to not be in the public
interest for the rest of the film to be aired.

This wasn't elaborated upon in the days follow. Nothing more was said in any
other media. It was all quite bizarre.

Gaiden