permaculture - Re: [permaculture] People Without Cash

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Kirby Fry" <peace@totalaccess.net>
  • To: <Gaden@ziplip.com>, "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] People Without Cash
  • Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2003 11:06:16 -0500

Hi Gaiden,

It sounds like we're discussing two states of cashlessness here: those who's
cashlessness is an aspect of a deliberate / sustainable choice, and those
who's cashlessness is an aspect of laziness or a lack of "ambition." I
think we all agree, however, that, no one's potential can afford to be
overlooked.

On a slightly different note, Bob Ewing and I have been pondering about how
to expand the scope and reach of permaculture education to include the
cashless and dispossessed.

I would like to use our non-profit to raise grant monies so that such
underprivileged persons can actually be paid to take a PDC and then have
paying work for them once they complete their course.

Much like the urban gardeners in San Francisco - S.L.U.G., I would like to
involve and teach a permaculture vocational course to troubled youth who
have to perform community service. We should also offer Pc vocational
courses for prison inmates who wish to advance themselves while doing their
time, and plug in to private firms who are vested with the task and funds
for federal job training programs, such as Gary Job Corps here in Texas.

Kirby Fry

For the real scoop on environmental and social justice issues check out
Democracy Now! http://www.democracynow.org/